Monday, June 27, 2011

Gerard Hopkins: I Wake and Feel the Fell of Dark, Not Day

After reading this poem, I felt there was a deep dark tone throughout the poem.  I am not sure what Hopkins referring to, but I'm guessing that he is lamenting or mourning about a death or a hard time he is going through.  Hopkins seems to be very bitter in this poem: "I am gall, I am heartburn. God's most deep decree Bitter would have me taste: m taste was me; Bones built in me, flesh filled, blood brimmed the curse."  He seems to be blaming God for the situation and his loss.  At the end of the poem, :"I see The lost are like this, and their scourge to be as I am mine, their sweating selves; but worse."  He seems to try to accept the fact that he has lost the one he loved, but he will not forgive himself for the loss.

2 comments:

  1. Marie,

    Good poem and passages to analyze, but this brief post does not really go into sufficient depth or detail in analyzing either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depression. This poem was to me about depression and how it is all consuming. Hopkins's in my opinion is writing about how after the loss he was in a very dark place even when he wakes. To me this gives a decription of depression.

    ReplyDelete